Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law.

  • All food premises must be registered by law with us.
  • Registration is required even if your business only sells pre-packed food or drinks.
  • It is free to register and you can register online
  • Certain types of food premises, generally manufacturers of products of animal origin, such as dairies, meat product manufacturers or fish processors are subject to product specific regulations and need to apply for Food Premises Approval.
  • Anyone who is legally responsible for a food business or food premises.
  • If you are a wholesaler contact us for further information.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before starting to trade. 

You need to register your business so we can keep an up to date register of food business premises so we can visit them as required. How often we visit depends on the type of business.


If you have a food business with food premises in Torbay you must be registered with us. If you have food premises in different areas you must register with the local authority Opens in a new window in each area individually.

If you have a mobile catering vehicle, register with the local authority Opens in a new window where the vehicle is usually stored e.g. if it’s stored in Torbay you will need to register with us. Each mobile catering vehicle must be registered separately.

  Register a food business

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your form, your business will automatically be added to the register. The register is public, but only lists the address and type of premises registered. We will not disclose other information outside the Council, Local Government Departments and Government Agencies.

Once you have registered you may be subject to an initial inspection, which may be unannounced. You can still trade before this inspection as long as you have registered with us.  If you would like some advice before your inspection please contact us.  It would be a good idea to use this checklist to help you identify things to think about before your inspection.

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme Checklist
Checklist to cover the main areas your business will be scored against.


You must tell us of any changes within 28 days, such as:

  • Change in the nature of the business, including change of name.
  • Change of address at which outdoor catering equipment is kept.
  • Change to the food business operator. A new food business operator must complete a new registration form.

If you’re not sure how some words relating to food are defined in law, please read the definitions below.

Food means anything that is or could reasonably be expected to be eaten by people. This includes alcohol, chewing gum and even water.

A Food Business is any business, whether run for profit or not, that carries out any activities related to any stage of food production, processing or distribution.

A food business operator is the person or people legally responsible for making sure that the requirements of food law are met for the food business they run.

Food Premises describes anywhere used to store, prepare, distribute or sell food, including warehouses or vehicles. If you have permanent premises and use vehicles, you must register the premises and the number of vans used. Mobile food outlets (for example burger vans) must be registered individually. You will also need to check if you need to apply for Food Premises Approval.