If you run or intend to start a business which makes or handles food of animal origin*, the business may need to be approved by us.
Approval will not be required if your business is a retail shop and:
- You only sell to customers
- You do not supply food to any other business premises
There are some other exceptions, check with us for further details.
Approval will not be granted until all the necessary documentation is available, but you can start the application process.
This can include:
- Fresh meat
- Minced meat
- Meat products such as ready meals, pies & sausage rolls
- Meat preparations such as sausages
- Milk and dairy products such as cheese & yoghurt
- Eggs and egg products
- Fish and fishery products
- Shellfish - If you harvest shellfish, a completed registration document must accompany each batch at all times if you are transporting them.
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses