Mobile caterers include any food business that uses a vehicle for preparation and for serving food. These also include temporary premises such as stalls or trailers. These are included in the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.

Mobile food vendors can include fish and chip vans, ice cream vans, mobile fishmongers and butchers and market stalls at street events.

This type of food business must be registered with us if the vehicle is kept in Torbay or the business is based in Torbay. This is so that a current list of traders is maintained and checks can be carried out for health and safety and food hygiene purposes, including Food Hygiene Rating.

People running mobile or temporary food businesses need to be aware of the same food hygiene issues as other businesses and must still have a documented food safety management system. This must be kept with the mobile premises whenever trading to the public.

If you are planning to sell food on the street or in any area to which public has access then you may need a Street Trading Licence.

Events and festivals

In Devon and Cornwall we operate a Mobile Business Inspection Log. Its purpose is to improve communication between inspecting Food Safety Officers and to reduce the regulatory burden on mobile businesses trading at outdoor events and festivals. The pack should also ensure greater accuracy when determining your Food Hygiene Rating. To obtain a copy please contact us.

If you are attending a planned public event in Torbay then you may be asked to complete an Outdoor Catering Form in advance of the event by the organisers. 

Food traders attending events on our land need to meet minimum standards. For more information please see the Policy for Mobile Food Traders at Events.

  Download the Food Businesses at Events notification form

Guidance for Traders
Guidance for Catering at Outdoor Events, Markets and Mobile Food Traders.

Other things to consider