Retail relief has been re-introduced for 2 years from 1 April 2019, to help some retail businesses reduce their business rates by up to one-third.
The types of businesses that qualify for the relief are those mainly used as shops, restaurants, cafés and drinking establishments.
Types of businesses that do not qualify
Business that will not qualify due to the use of the property are:
- Financial services (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureau de change payday lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers)
- Estate agents
- Letting agents
- Employment agencies
- Medical services (vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths chiropractors)
- Professional services (solicitors, accountants, insurance agents, financial advisors, tutors)
- Hotels, guest houses, holiday accommodation (both licenced and unlicenced)
- Nightclubs, sports clubs, cinemas, theatres and museums
- Members clubs
- Other hereditaments (properties) that are not readily accessible to members of the public
Any relief awarded is classed as de minimus aid and you cannot receive more than €200,000 within a 3 year period. This is the current year and the 2 previous years. If you have previously been awarded any de minimus aid you would have received a written notification and will need to declare this to us.
Small business rate relief is not classed as de minimus aid and therefore does not need to be declared.
If you have not already been awarded this relief and you think you should qualify please complete the form below.
For more information see the Retail relief guidance Opens in a new window
Contact Business Rates
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses