Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if: 

  • You are single and of state pension age. Or part of a couple and at least one of you was state pension age on 14 May 2019.
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

You will need to claim Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit (UC) is a single monthly payment to help with living and housing costs. It doesn't help to pay your council tax. A claim for Council Tax Support must be made with us. 

Universal Credit is paid by the DWP to working age people and replaces:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

The How to claim Universal Credit: step by step page outlines the steps you will need to take to claim Universal Credit.

When you first claim you will not be paid any money until 5 weeks after submitting your claim. If you don't have enough to live on you may be able to get an Advance payment Opens in a new window

  Apply for Universal Credit Opens in a new window

When you claim Universal Credit you will need to accept your Claimant Commitment Opens in a new window.

The Claimant Commitment is your record of the responsibilities that you have accepted in return for receiving Universal Credit, and the consequences of not meeting them.

Further information

You can get more information about Universal Credit from the following websites or you can watch the short, helpful videos: