Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if: 

  • You are single and of state pension age. Or part of a couple and at least one of you was state pension age on 14 May 2019.
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

You will need to claim Housing Benefit.

In most cases Universal Credit will be a single, monthly payment which is paid in arrears directly into the claimant’s bank account. Payments will include all eligible housing costs.

This means that claimants will be responsible for paying their rent themselves.

If your tenant gets into difficulty paying their rent or would struggle with the responsibility of paying the rent, the landlord can apply for an alternative payment arrangement (APA)  which will be considered on a case by case basis.

Universal Credit will publish quarterly landlord engagement newsletters. You can see the June 2018 newsletter and how to set up email alerts for updated information at GOV.UK - Landlord engagement newsletter Opens in a new window.

You can find more information: