If you receive Housing Benefit (HB) it will stop if you:
- New job or number of hours worked ends Jobseeekers Allowance (JSA) Income Support (IS) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA IR) and child tax credits is not in payment
- Receiving Working Tax Credits (WTC) and work finishes or is reduced to less than 16 hours per week
- Receiving IS or JSA and you become unfit to work or look for work
- Receiving Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and you are now able to work or look for work
- Couples separating where Tax Credits is in payment as a couple
- Receiving Income Support and youngest child reaches age 5 or leaves the household
- Become responsible for a first child in the household
- Your Income Support (IS), Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) ends as you no longer qualify for the severe disability premium
- Move out of Torbay and need help to pay your new rent and don't qualify for the severe disability premium
If you still need help towards your rent you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC). You can get more information and make a claim at Gov.uk - Universal Credit Opens in a new window.
You must tell us if you have one of these changes so you do not receive too much HB.
We will continue to deal with all Council Tax Support (CTS) claims.
If your HB ends because you have claimed UC you will be eligible for a two week transition payment of HB. We will pay this automatically and it will not be recovered from any UC payment you receive.