Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if: 

  • You are single and of state pension age. Or part of a couple and at least one of you was state pension age on 14 May 2019.
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

You will need to claim Housing Benefit.

A family is a single person or couple who is responsible for one or more children. From 5 September 2018 you may need to claim Universal Credit.

Whether you need to claim or not depends on the number of children you have, their ages, your personal circumstance and income.

You can get more information at :