Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if: 

  • You are single and of state pension age. Or part of a couple and at least one of you was state pension age on 14 May 2019.
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

You will need to claim Housing Benefit.

If you pay Council Tax and need help to pay your bill this will not be considered by Universal Credit. You must make an application form Council Tax Support with us.

You can get more information and make a claim on our Council Tax Support pages.

What if I am already getting Council Tax Support (CTS)?

We will continue to deal with your CTS claim even if you get Universal Credit.

Please make sure you tell us of any changes in your circumstance so we can make sure your CTS is correct.

You can report a change of circumstance on our Tell us about a change pages