Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if you: 

You will need to claim Housing Benefit.

If you are part of a couple and you and your partner need to claim Universal Credit you must make a joint claim.

If you are a couple and one of you is working age and one is State Pension Credit qualifying age Opens in a new window you can claim either Universal Credit or Pension Credit.

You can get more information about Universal Credit for couples at GOV.UK - Information for couples Opens in a new window