Universal Credit will not pay housing costs if: 

  • You are single and of state pension age. Or if you are part of a couple and are both of state pension age.
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

You will need to claim Housing Benefit.

You will not be affected by Universal Credit yet if you:

If you need help towards your rent you will need to claim Housing Benefit.