Council Tax Support Consultation

Have your say on proposals for the Council Tax Support scheme for working age residents in Torbay. The consultation is open until 11 October 2019 and there is a public event being held at Paignton Library on the 11 September 2019 for people to find out more about the proposals. Take part in the consultation >>

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You are single and of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and are both of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and been continuously receiving Pension Credit since at least 14/05/19
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not you need to claim Universal Credit  Opens in a new window  for help with paying your rent.

Income and savings

  • If entitlement to any other benefit begins or ends for anyone in your home
  • Any changes to income for anyone in your home
  • Increase or decrease in the amount of you or your partner's savings, capital and investments if you are 
    • Working age and you and your partner hold capital over £5500
    • Pension age and you and your partner hold capital over £9500
  • Sale of any residential property you own or part own

Changes in your household 

  • Somebody moves in or out of your home
  • You start or stop letting part of your home to someone who pays rent
  • You start paying, stop paying or there are changes to the amount of child care you pay
  • You, your partner or your child starts or finishes full-time education, including university courses
  • You or somebody in your household goes to prison or is on remand
  • You or your partner are away from home and don't plan to return within four weeks

Changes to your tenancy

  • You move home
  • Your rent goes up or down
  • Your landlord changes
  • You receive a new tenancy agreement
  • The conditions of your tenancy change e.g. if you start or stop paying for services as part of your tenancy (gas, electricity, water rates etc).