How much you get will be based on an ‘eligible’ rent. This means the reasonable rent for a suitable property in your area.
The number of bedrooms that are counted for social housing tenants
We may restrict the amount you get if you are working age and have 'spare' bedrooms.
The number of bedrooms you can claim for is based on the number of people living in your home not the number of bedrooms you have.
A claim is reduced by:
- 14% if you have one 'spare' bedroom
- 25% if you have two or more 'spare' bedrooms
One bedroom is allowed for:
- Every adult couple
- Any additional adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children regardless of sex aged under age 10
- Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
- Any other child
- A carer who normally lives elsewhere (we may write to you about this)
How is it paid?
You can choose to have the benefit paid to yourself or your landlord. It will be paid straight into a bank or building society account.