Council Tax Support Consultation

Have your say on proposals for the Council Tax Support scheme for working age residents in Torbay. The consultation is open until 11 October 2019 and there is a public event being held at Paignton Library on the 11 September 2019 for people to find out more about the proposals. Take part in the consultation >>

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You are single and of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and are both of state pension credit qualifying age, or
    Part of a couple and been continuously receiving Pension Credit since at least 14/05/19
    You can find your Pension Credit qualifying age using Check your State Pension age  Opens in a new window
  • Qualify for the severe disability premium  Opens in a new window and receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit or one of these benefits has ended in the last month
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority

If not you need to claim Universal Credit  Opens in a new window  for help with paying your rent.

When you make a claim for Housing Benefit you need to send us supporting evidence. Our claim form gives you details of all the evidence you will need to give us.

You should submit your claim even if you do not have all of the supporting information and evidence we need, but please make sure you provide any missing information to us within one month. If you do not provide all the evidence we need, we might not be able to pay you.

Submitting your documents online is the easiest and quickest way to provide your evidence. You can get information on our upload evidence to support a benefit claim page.

Evidence that we may need

Evidence of identity

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Passport
  • Medical card
  • Driving license
  • UK residence permit
  • EEA Identity card
  • Home Office letter
  • Recent paid gas or electricity bill.

We will need to see at least 2 of these documents for yourself and any partner.

  • National Insurance number card
  • Pay slips
  • Letters from the Department for Work and Pensions, or Tax Office.

We will need to see at least 2 of these documents for yourself and any partner.

  • Tenancy agreement
  • Rent book
  • Rent receipts
  • A letter from your landlord.

If you do not have a written agreement, receipts or rent book, please ask your landlord to complete a landlords declaration.

Landlords Declaration
This is filled out by landlords for proof of rent.
  • Your last five wage slips if you are paid every week
  • Your last three wage slips if you are paid fortnightly
  • Your last two wage slips if you are paid monthly or 4 weekly

If you are unable to obtain wage slips please ask your employer to complete a certificate of earnings.

Earnings Certificate
Employers should complete this certificate if their employee has applied for housing benefit or council tax support

If you have just started work please supply your contract of employment or a letter from your employer.

If you are self employed you will need to complete a Self Employed Earnings Form.

  Self-employed Earnings Form

  • Pension slips
  • Proof of other benefits
  • Proof of any other income that you receive

If you are working age and you and your partner hold capital over £5500, or if you are pension age and you and your partner hold capital over £9500 we need to see the following:

  • At least the last 2 months details for all your bank, building society or post office accounts
  • Premium Bonds
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Stocks, shares, bonds and unit trusts
  • A financial interest in a property that you own or jointly own
Property valuation form
We may need the current market value of the property so please complete the valuation form and provide proof where requested