The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks.

If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

Most full time students can’t get Council Tax Support.

A full-time student is someone who is studying at college or university for 16 hours per week or more.

There are some exceptions:

  • Lone-parent and lone foster parent students
  • Student couples with children
  • A student with a partner who is not a student - the partner must make the claim
  • Pension age students or a student with a partner who is pension age
  • Disabled students
  • Students who get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Students aged under 22 studying up to and including GCE 'A' Level or BTEC National Diploma or National Certificate
  • Students whose course has been interrupted because of illness or they are caring for someone

If you are a student that can claim will need to complete the online application, a student details form and provide proof of any student income that you have such as grants and loans.

Student Details Form
Fill us this form to inform us of your details as a student.

If you are a full time student and are not entitled to Council Tax Support, you may be entitled to a reduction in council tax.