1 in 5 newly qualified drivers crash within the first 6 months of passing their test. Make sure you are prepared just in case the worst should happen and you are in an emergency situation.
Learn2Live Opens in a new window have developed an app that is FREE for anyone to download to their smartphone. The PANIC app is designed to help you in the first few moments if you are involved in a car crash.
How to use the app in an emergency
- Open the app and work your way through the P.A.N.I.C pages.
- The grid reference of your location will be displayed at the bottom of most of the pages, this will often be the most important piece of information you can give the emergency services – if you give them the grid reference they will be able to reach you quicker.
- You can access the grid reference number/location by clicking on Main Menu and then My Location.
- Press the exit button (in the top right hand corner of the app) when you are ready to call the emergency services. This will hide, but not close, the app.
- Always ask for the Ambulance service if someone is injured; they will contact the Police and the Fire service.
- Put your phone onto speaker and then open the P.A.N.I.C app, which will allow you to give the emergency services your location grid reference along with any other information they may need.
- The app provides information about what to do first, basic emergency first aid and important information the emergency services a will want from you.
- Due to the importance of the PANIC section, this will always be the first section that appears when you open the app.
- We advise that you take the time to read through the P.A.N.I.C pages to familiarise yourself with the information. If your are involved in a crash, a few seconds may make the difference between life and death.
- The app also includes some other useful features including ICE (In Case of Emergency) details, an area that stores your medical details along with emergency contact details should you be the person that is injured.
- The last section of the app allows you to store vehicle reminders for your tyre pressures, MOT, tax, oil and service. It also allows you to store contact details for your insurance, car breakdown and local garage.