We are constantly monitoring the weather and salting primary and secondary routes across Torbay where necessary during the winter months. However, although salt can be a huge help, it is not a cure and there some top winter driving tips which can also help.
Driving conditions over the winter period can be dangerous with the threat of snow and ice, but there are steps that you can take to minimise the risk:
- Ask yourself - do I really need to travel?
- Prepare your vehicle for the winter - check your battery and make sure there is anti-freeze in your radiator and windscreen washer bottle, and check your tyres
- Check the weather forecast and road conditions on the TV/radio or local paper
- Use the salt bins for "self help" as they are available for use when adverse conditions are expected. Salt is intended to help prevent the onset of ice formation. Once ice is present it will also require assistance from vehicles passing over it and temperature increases. Please note you just need the equivalent of a tablespoon of salt to treat one square metre of road or footway
- Allow extra time for your journey
- When the visibility is poor due to rain, fog or snow use dipped headlights - see and be seen
- Always watch out for cyclists and pedestrians - they can be difficult to see and be seen
- Test your brakes after going through deep water, braking lightly to help dry them out
- Remember that stopping distances are dramatically increased during ice or snow conditions
- In high winds watch out for debris and sudden gusts
- Fog can make you think you are travelling slower than you actually are - slow down and don’t use the tail lights of the vehicle in front as a guide
- Give snow ploughs and gritters plenty of room - overtake them with extreme caution and only if your overtaking lane has been gritted or cleared of snow
- Tell someone at your destination what time you expect to arrive
- Make sure you are equipped with warm clothes, food, boots and a torch. In snowy conditions carry a spade
- Clear your windows and mirrors before you set out and carry a screen scraper and de-icer
- Dazzle from the winter sun can be dangerous. Keep a pair of sunglasses handy.
For more information visit the winter maintenance page or follow us on Facebook Opens in a new window or Twitter Opens in a new window to receive the latest updates on winter weather and gritting.