A disabled parking bay is a white outlined parking space on the road outside or near your home. They are not limited to a specific person’s use so can be used by any Blue Badge holder.
When parking in the bay you must display your Blue Badge at all times. Bays are regularly inspected and any infringement of our guidelines may result in the bay being removed.
Disabled parking bays are advisory only. If other vehicles park in the bay, with or without displaying a blue badge, no enforcement action can be taken by us or the Police.
You may be eligible for a disabled parking bay if you:
- Have a blue badge
- Are the driver of a vehicle
- Do not have any off-street parking
In exceptional circumstance bays may be considered if the above criteria is not met. A doctor’s letter confirming the need on medical grounds must be provided with the application.
There is a fee of £370.50 which is non-refundable unless the bay is refused.
Parking bays are not given to:
- Husbands, wives, parents, relatives or any other driver, even if they live at your address
- Solve any driveway access problem such as steepness
- Act as ‘Keep Clear’ markings for vehicles visiting
Documents you need to provide with your application
We require proof of your Blue Badge, if you have one. We also need proof of your name and residency, this should be one of the following:
- Most recent council tax bill
- Driving licence
- Utility bill issued within the last 3 months
- Bank statement issued within last month
You will need to upload photos or screenshots of your Blue Badge, proof of residency and Doctors letter (if required) with the application form.
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee a bay, we also need to consider the location and whether:
- It’s near or on a junction or bend
- The width of road could compromise road safety
- There are any existing parking restrictions
A parking bay cannot be approved where there are existing waiting restrictions or within any Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ). If at a future date a CPZ is introduced, the bay will be removed.
If there is an existing bay near you but the markings are faded, you can request the our partner contractor Tor2 take a look to see if it requires remarking. Tor2 are available on 01803 402900 or you can report faded markings online.