If you wish to apply for a licence to temporarily occupy the highway, you must have consent from us.
The applicant must hold a current certificate demonstrating a competent knowledge of Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual and a minimum Public Liability Insurance of £5,000,000. It is the applicants responsibility to determine the appropriate level of cover.
Each licence is issued with standard conditions printed on the rear of the licence but we may add further special conditions.
Three types of application can be applied for:
Major WorksWhere a licence period of between 10 and 28 days is required. These applications must be made 3 months in advance of the start date. Renewals of Major Works licences must be applied for giving 10 days notice and will be for a maximum of 28 days.
Standard WorksFor a maximum licence period of 10 days. Applications or renewals made with less than 10 days notice will attract enhanced charges.
Emergency WorksFor a maximum licence period of 10 days but enhanced charges will apply.
The owner of the items being deposited on the highway must apply for the licence and applications will not be considered until the appropriate fee has been paid.18769
Alternatively, you can apply to work on a public highway Opens in a new window via GOV.UK.
The cost of a licence depends on the amount of notice given and if a site visit is needed.
- £49.40 - Over 10 days notice given *
- £98.75 - 10 days or less notice is given *
- £98.75 - Site visit required
- £24.95 per licence per parking space occupied, where the skip uses on street Pay and Display parking spaces during chargeable times.
* Fees cover our administration and apply to applications for new licenses or renewals and are non-refundable.
If you are concerned about the safety of any licensed activity on the public highway, please report this to us.
- Report a problem with a road or pavement
- Highway maintenance
- Road safety
- Travel Torbay
- Highways licenses and permits
- Heavy and abnormal loads
- Helicopter landings
- Report a dead animal on a road or footpath
- Apply for access lines
- Report parking problems
- highways related plans, policies and reports.