On 25 April 2017, Torbay Council was one of the first local authorities to launch an online lottery, www.torbaylottery.co.uk, to help support good causes in Torbay. The first draw was held on 27 May 2017. The Torbay Lottery is on target to raise over £40k to local good causes within its first year.
The Torbay Lottery operates on the principle of raising money in the community, for the community – empowering local groups to generate vital funds in a fun and effective way, while enabling players to support the causes they care about the most.
It is free for good causes to join and is intended to support a wide range of charities and groups that deliver projects which have a beneficial impact on the local community and support the targeted actions of the Corporate Plan, namely:
- protecting all children and giving them the best start in life
- promoting healthy lifestyles across Torbay
- ensuring Torbay remains an attractive and safe place to live and visit
- protecting and supporting vulnerable adults
There is also a central Torbay Lottery Small Grants Fund for those people who do not want to support a specific group where charity, voluntary and community sector organisations can bid towards the costs of a specific activity or for the purchase of small items of equipment up to £2,000 once a year.
The deadline for applying for the 2017/2018 Small Grants Fund has now closed and the following organisations have received funding:
- Great Parks Community Centre - £1000.00
- Friends of the Vigilance - £ 800.00
- Shekinah Grow Paignton - £1300.00
- Transfigurations - £1000.00
- Friends of Clennon Lakes - £ 700.00
- Play Torbay - £ 800.00
- 11th Torbay (Barton) Sea Scout Group - £ 900.00
- Pete’s Dragons - £1000.00
- Imagine Torbay Multicultural Group - £1000.00
- Devon Rape Crisis & Sexual Abuse Service - £ 700.00
Applicants may apply for a grant from the Small Grants Fund for 2018/2019 between 14 January 2019 and 4 March 2019 by completing the prescribed application form and returning it via email or by post to:
c/o PA to the Executive Head (Community Safety)
The Torbay Lottery Small Grants Fund Panel will meet on 19 March 2019 and successful applicants will be informed within six weeks of the application deadline.
This policy details how Torbay Lottery small grants funds are allocated.