The current byelaws regarding horse riding on the beach are as follows:
No person shall, on the seashore, break in any horse or other animal, or ride or drive any horse or other animal in a race or so as to cause danger or annoyance to any person using the seashore.
We allow horses to be ridden on the beaches for which we are responsible. However we have a responsibility to provide a safe public area and with this in mind, the following guidelines must be followed;
- Please give due consideration for the safety and comfort of other beach users, remember that not everyone is knowledgeable about horses and our beaches are open to the general public at all times.
- Be alert for other beach users; particularly children. Also be aware of the possibility that dogs may be running free on the beach.
- Riders using the beach must have public liability insurance and may be asked to provide evidence of this to Council staff.
- Riders must indemnify us against all claims, actions, damages or proceedings of whatever nature arising directly out of the granting of this permission.
- The beach must be left in a clean and tidy condition. All litter; including manure must be removed from the beach immediately and taken away with you.
- Be aware that during very low tides or where the beach has been scoured by rough weather, additional hazards may be uncovered.
Horses may be ridden on accessible beaches:
1 October to 30 April
- Only at low tide during the early morning or late afternoon.
1 May to 30 September
- Horses cannot be taken onto any beach with either a Seaside Award or a Blue Flag. Please check our Awards page for the most up-to-date list of these.
- On any other beach, horses may not be ridden between the hours of 10am and 6pm.
- Torbay Lottery
- Parks, play and open spaces
- Tor Bay Harbour
- Museums and theatres
- Creative Torbay
- Community Partnerships
- Armed forces and veterans
- Filming in Torbay
- Torquay Harbour Webcam
- Venue Hire
- Getting the best from your Torbay holiday on a budget
- Population Statistics
- Apply to hold an event on our land