A campaign by trading standards services in South West England to help stop people being conned by rogue traders.
Being scammed can be a humiliating and costly experience. Anyone can fall for a scam. They arrive through the post, by email, over the telephone and on the doorstep. Most scams are, quite simply, fraud and the perpetrators are criminals.
Top Tips to Avoid Being Scammed
- Be suspicious of unsolicited letters, phone calls, or emails asking you to send money - check out the sender and ask the opinion of family, friends or neighbours.
- If an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is - trust your instincts.
- Always think twice - ask yourself 'can I afford to lose money on this?'
- Never send money to anyone who says you've won the lottery or a big prize - you'll never see your promised winnings.
- Don't be rushed into sending off money by time sensitive deadlines.
- Never ring an 090 number unless you're certain how much the call will cost and know what you are likely to receive.
- Never disclose your bank account, credit card or personal details to people you don't know.
- Don't send money off just because a letter seems official. Scammers often use this trick. If you haven't heard of them check them out before taking any action.
- Scammers often use fake testimonials to support their claims but don't let them fool you - make your own mind up.
The 'Scam Wise' advice leaflets (see related documents) provide advice and assistance to help you avoid becoming a victim of such scams.
We also have somefree 'No Doorstep Traders' (see related documents) for people in Torbay to stick on their doors to deter doorstep traders. If you would like to receive one of these please telephone Trading Standards on 01803 208038 and we'll make sure you receive one through the post.
Don't suffer scams in silence, get help! Contact Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06 for advice or the Consumer Direct website.
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01803 208025
- Fax: 01803 208854