Torbay Council

Cookie Policy



If you intend to demolish the whole or part of a building you need to inform  the Building Control department, subject to certain exemptions (see below). You must not start any demolition work until we have replied to your notification by counter notice or after six weeks. You may also require planning consents to demolish certain types of buildings.


Notification of a demolition is not required where:

Demolition notice

A notification must be sent to the Local Authority (under section 80 of the Building Act 1984) that specifies the building to which the demolition relates and the area of demolition.
Notification can be provided by letter, fax or email, however, for you convenience we have designed a form that you can complete.

Counter notice

Once you have sent us notification that you intend to demolish a building, we will send you a counter notice (Section 81 of the Building Act 1984) setting out requirements on how the demolition is to be undertaken.
Copies of this counter notice will also be sent to: