Torbay Council’s Public Health Team is looking to support schools throughout Torbay in adopting the Healthy Schools approach designed by the Department for Education. The Healthy Schools toolkit is designed to help schools to ‘plan, do and review’ health and wellbeing improvements for their children and young people and to identify and select activities and interventions effectively. This approach will ensure schools put in place the most appropriate services and meet the needs of children and young people.
Our Public Health offer to all Torbay schools is:
- Making sure that the Healthy Child Programme (5 to 19) is available and delivered by commissioning - both the programme and the school nurses to undertake this work
- Supporting the healthy weights agenda by commissioning the National Childhood Measurement Programme
- Supporting the development of the healthy schools initiatives including emotional health and wellbeing
- Helping to make sexual health services as accessible and young person friendly as we can, including the outreach team and provision of EHC
- Supporting school surveys for general health and specific topics, for example RSE or Thrive provision
- Providing or sign-posting schools and students to advice and guidance across health related topics, for example healthy weight