Torbay Council

Cookie Policy

Housing Benefit Information for Landlords

Housing Benefit is paid by the Council to help people on low incomes with their rent. The information below details how this affects you as a landlord, or agent.

Evidence of private rent and tenancy

We will need proof of the rent that is charged between yourself and your tenant. This can be sent to us electronically and can be any of the following:

Submit - Supporting Documents

If you do not have a written agreement, receipts or rent book, a landlord may complete a Report - Proof of rent (printable).


Housing Benefit is legally the tenant’s income, so the details of any benefit claim they make is confidential. Unfortunately, if Housing Benefit is not being paid to you, we cannot even tell you if a benefit claim has been made.
If Housing Benefit is payable to you, we will be able to tell you:
If you need any more information about your tenant's entitlement we can only give this if we have their written authority to do so. There is a section on the Council’s claim forms for your tenant to complete and sign which will allow us to share information with you about the Housing Benefit claim.

Related Documents

All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.


Related Pages