Torbay Council

Cookie Policy

Applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Please note: Homeowners are not entitled to Housing Benefit. If you are an owner–occupier and need help with your mortgage repayments you should contact the Department for Work and Pensions through the local Jobcentre Plus office.

Who can apply for Council Tax Support?

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are responsible for paying Council Tax for the property in which you reside. i.e. you are the person named on the bill.

Who can apply for Housing Benefit?

You can claim Housing Benefit if you pay rent. This could be as a private tenant, Council tenant, housing association tenant, sub-tenant or lodger.
The amount you will receive will be based on your income and circumstances.

Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit you cannot claim Housing Benefit as you would need to claim help with housing costs through your Universal Credit award. If you pay Council Tax you will still be able to claim help with your Council Tax charges through Council Tax Support and should continue with an application with us.


You can now apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support using our electronic form.

The online Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form has been designed to be easy to fill in.
Please remember to write down and keep safe your unique reference number exactly as you see it so that you can return to it at a later date if you do not wish to complete straight away. This number is given to you when you start a new electronic claim.
You will need to provide proof of your circumstances so if you call into the Connections offices, it would be useful if you bring with you your tenancy agreement, proof of income and recent bank statements.
If you are claiming Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit you can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support at the same time through the Jobcentre or Pensions Service.
Please note:  Entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support will usually start from the Monday following the date your form is received or the date you have first contacted the Council about making a claim.

I already receive Housing Benefit and I think I may now be entitled to Council Tax Support?

If you already receive Housing Benefit but did not qualify for Council Tax Support when you claimed you need to let us know if you have any changes.Your income may have recently dropped so that you now become entitled to Council Tax Support. If this is the case you can complete and return a shortened claim form to us and we will reconsider your entitlement to Council Tax Support.
We have staff trained in British Sign Language to assist if you are deaf or hard of hearing. If they are not available when you visit the office, we will make you an appointment as soon as possible.


Related Pages