We strongly recommend that you seek the services of a professional if you are applying for planning permission but if you are not using an architect or planning consultant then please follow the advice on these pages to ensure that your application is made correctly.
Please use the 'What Happens Next?' links at the bottom of each page to guide you to the next stage in the process.
Step 1: Select how you wish to apply
There are two ways that you can make your application:
- Online - The green option that saves you money. The Planning Portal guides you through each step of the application process and your application is submitted directly to Torbay Council for you.There is no printing or posting required.
- On paper (application forms) two copies of all forms and plans are required for paper-based applications.
If you require guidance:
- If you have not made an application for planning permission before then please visit the Planning Process page where guidance is given through the application process.
- The Planning Portal offers helptext with each application form to help you answer the questions.We have provided this helptext in easy reference format for householder application forms and full planning permission application forms. This text covers all the questions on the application forms.
- We have provided a Frequently Asked Questions page for your reference when making an application.
- Access our publications and guidance notes for further information about our processes and policies.
Step 2: Calculate the fee for your application
All applications (except exemptions and applications solely for Listed Building Consent and Conservation Area Consent) require the submission of correct fees
Online applications: The online service provides a fee claculator for you.
Step 3: Create your plans and supplementary documents
All applications must be accompanied by the correct Plans and Documents for them to be valid.
The online service allows you to submit plans online if you require.
Step 4: Submit your application
Paper applications: Please submit your application by post or by hand to:
Online applications: The application is transferred directly to Torbay Council.
Step 5: The application will now be processed by Torbay Council
Visit the Planning Process page for step by step guidance through the whole process.
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013
- Planning Portal - Use Classes and Change of Use
- Glossary of Planning Terms
- The Self Build Portal
- The Town and Country Planning Order 2013
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01803 207801