Building Regulations are divided into parts and are explained in approved documents that cover the following subjects:
- Part A Structure
- Part B Fire Safety
- Part C Site preparation and resistance to moisture
- Part D Toxic substances
- Part E Resistance to the passage of sound
- Part F Ventilation
- Part G Hygiene
- Part H Drainage and waste disposal
- Part J Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- Part K Protection from falling, collision and impact, opening and cleaning
- Part L Conservation of fuel and power
- Part M Access to and use of buildings
- Part N Glazing
- Part P Electrical safety
- How does the system work?
First, a valid application must be received prior to the commencement of any building work, provided you are not doing gas, electrical or glazing work that is covered by a self certification scheme. Your application may take the form of a Building Notice (only available for certain domestic work) or Full Plans application.
Plans submitted under the Full Plans procedure are examined for compliance with the regulations and an approval is issued at the appropriate time. Under both methods the work is inspected at various stages again to ensure the requirements of the regulations are being met.
Fees are payable on submission and where relevant, after the first commencement site visit.
Your application can be submitted online through Submit-a-plan.com . This facility is offered free of charge and works with all CAD applications. It eliminates the need to send multiple paper plans and is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. To register or find out more information on how you can save time and money visit Submit-a-plan.com .
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- Building Act 1984
- Communities: Building Regulations
- Planning Portal: Building Regulations
- Party Wall Act
- Planning Portal
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01803 208095
- Fax: 01803 208858
- Guidance Notes
- Building Control Officers