The keeping and running of a pet shop is controlled by the Pet Animals Act 1951. No person may keep a pet shop unless they have first obtained a licence from their Local Authority.
Licensing of Pet Shops
Pet shops are licensed by the Local Authority. Licenses for pet shops may be issued provided the applicant is not disqualified under any of the following Acts:
- Pet Animals Act 1951
- Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
- Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- Animal Welfare Act 2006
Where a licence is granted that licence and any subsequent licence will expire on the 31st December of the year to which it relates and must be renewed before that date if the premises are to continue as a pet shop.
|Type of Registration||Fee|
|Pet Animals Act 1951 New||£215.00|
|Pet Animals Act 1951 Renewal||£115.00|
** Plus costs of vets fees as required
Before being granted a licence the applicant must be able to demonstrate to the Council's Licensing Inspector:
- That they are suitably qualified to keep animals with regard to the type and number proposed to be kept.
- That the animals will be kept in accommodation that is suitable in respect of construction, size, temperature lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
- That animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and (so far as is necessary) visited at suitable intervals.
- That mammals will not be sold at too early an age.
- That all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of infectious disease amongst the animals.
- That appropriate steps will be taken to protect the animals in the case of fire or other emergency, including the provision of suitable fire fighting equipment.
- That a register containing a description of any animal received on the premises, the animals age and sex, the date of acquisition and departure and the source from which the animals are received, and that the register will be available for inspection at all times by a Licensing Inspector or by a Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner authorised by the Council.
- No animal will be sold to a child under the age of 16 years.
A licence may be refused or withheld on other grounds if those grounds are such that conditions are not suitable for the keeping of animals.
Each licence is subject to standard conditions that are imposed on all pet shops licensed by the Council.
In addition to the standard conditions a licence may also contain special conditions that are only applicable to your premises.
It is in the public interest that Torbay Council must process your application before it can be granted. You cannot keep or run a pet shop without a licence, and submitting an application form does not guarantee that a licence will be granted. We will endeavour to process your appliation within 20 working days of submission.
Your Right of Appeal
Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any conditions to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates Court and they may give such directions regarding the licence or its conditions as they think proper.
Licensed Pet Shops 2014
|Licence Holder||Name of Premises||Address|
|Pets at Home Ltd||Pets at Home||Bridge Retail Park, Hele Road, Torquay, TQ2 7AP|
|Susan Herbert||Aquator||119 Hele Road, Torquay, TQ2 7PX|
|Nicholas Fitzgerald||Torquay Pets & Gardens||11 Market Street, Torquay, TQ1 3AW|
|Mr Tozer||Gilberts Pets & Gardens||40 Fore Street, St Marychurch, Torquay, TQ1 4QX|
|The Ark Pet Centre Plymouth Ltd||The Ark Pet Centre||14 Market Street, Torquay, TQ1 3AQ|
|Tim Morris||Preston Pets & Reptiles||4 Seaway Road, Paignton, TQ3 2NY|
|Mr A Minns||South Devon Water Gardens||2 Cherry Brook Square, Paignton, TQ4 7LY|
|Mr A Aplin||Kaleidoscope Aquatic Centre||142 Torquay Road, Paignton, TQ3 2AH|
|The Ark Pet Centre Plymouth Ltd||The Ark Pet Centre||40-42 Hyde Road, Paignton, TQ4 5BY|
- Licensing & Trading Standards Enquiries
- Tel: 01803 208025
- Fax: 01803 208854