Torbay Council

Cookie Policy

Gambling Act 2005

The law on gambling has changed. On the 1 September 2007, the Gambling Act 2005 superseded the following Acts.
Existing licences, registrations, certificates and permits under these pieces of legislation are gradually replaced by Premises Licence and Permits. Most types of gambling or the provision of gaming machines will require a Premises Licence or Permit. However some limited gaming in alcohol licensed premises and club premises, licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 is allowed. Additionally race and casino nights are allowed with some limited controls.
Every premises that requires a Premises Licence will also need an Operators Licence. Many will also require Personal Licences, though there are some exemptions for small operators. Applications for operator and personal licences will need to be made to the Gambling Commission opens in a new window for these licences.
At Torbay Council, as the Licensing Authority we are responsible for Premises Licences and Permits. Those premises that require Premises Licences will have to apply for a new licence. However, there are still ‘grandfather rights’, to convert your existing club registration and some permits.
A document has been produced as an over view to applying for Premises licences and Permits, which explains the remaining transitional period, for conversion applications for some permits and registrations as well as new and variation applications for Premises Licence and Permits. See below. If you only want information on a particular type of application then see that webpage.
The Act also introduces Temporary Use Notices and Lotteries. Lotteries are covered on the Lottery page.
For more information, including individual types of applications, visit the webpages (top left navigation) and view the documents in those sections.

Related Documents

All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.

Related Websites


Related Pages

  • Connections & Call Centre