Upton Park is adjacent to the Torquay Town Hall, was created in the late 1920's on what had been little more than a public tip. The park has facilities for the playing of bowls and a children's playground.
The bowling green opened in May 1928 (there had been one in use from 1912 on a plot nearby). The first two hard tennis courts were completed at about the same time.
An enclosed and grassed open space on which children could play games was also provided between the Lymington and Magdalene Roads.
In 1944, prior to D-Day, a US Army field-kitchen was set up there shortly and meals were served in huts and men sat in the open air to eat them. Later the troops went down to Torquay Harbour for embarkation onto the ships that would take them over to the Beaches of Normandy.
Much more recently the area was dug up to provide a 'holding tank' for the water which builds up during heavy rainstorms. The River Fleet, which has run through the Stoney and Upton valleys from time immemorial, still flows through a pipe below the ground.
In the last few years the park has been refurbished to include a new play area, new landscaping and bulb planting which has raised it to a standard that has enabled the park to be awarded a Green Flag Awards in 2009. This is due to partnership working between Torbay Council and Upton Park Friends Group.
Dog Exclusion Order, Upton Park
The provisions of a dog exclusion order came into force on the 15 October 2007 for a restricted area in Upton Park. The land subject to the order is the Northerly section of Upton Park, being enclosed by a fence at Lymington Road, immediately to the north of the children's play area.
Upton Park is one of four parks in Torbay to have outdoor fitness equipment installed for use by the community. For more details visit the Outdoor Fitness Equipment page.
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01803 207797
- Fax: 01803 207639