It can be hard to talk about money but it’s important to get help as soon as you can.
- If you’re having problems paying your rent, speak to your landlord.
Many landlords will be prepared to talk with you about a way of paying off what you owe by instalments.
Think carefully before using so called 'pay day' loan companies who charge very high rates of interest. Although they might offer temporary relief, if you have debt you can’t manage they won’t solve the problem. If you’re not sure what’s best for you and your debt speak with a Debt Advisor for advice.
Sort out the most important debts
Some things are more important than others and your home is probably the most important thing to keep hold of.
- Deal with your landlord first.
- Consider payments to essential services to keep your home running.
- Always let those you owe money to know that you are having problems.
- Any repayment arrangements you make should be realistic and affordable. Make sure you stick to them.
- Get professional help as soon as possible. A debt advisor will help you find the best solution for you,
- Lots of agencies can give you free debt counselling and would be able to see if you are entitled to any other benefits:
- Make sure you are getting all the financial support you are entitled to: Check your benefits entitlement, talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau and tax office and check any insurance policies you have.
- If you are thinking about taking a new job, check how this may affect any benefits you are entitled to.
- If you are borrowing money to pay off your debts, make very sure you can actually afford the repayments now and in the future. You may need to provide some security, usually your home, which you may lose if you cannot make the repayments.
- Your landlord has asked you to leave
- Join the housing waiting list through Devon Home Choice
- Help with homelessness
- Emergency and Temporary Accommodation
- My landlord isn’t making repairs
- Renting a home
- Advice for landlords
- Advice for homeowners
- Refugees statement
- Moving home
- Finding a home
- Upload your documents to Housing Options