Whether you are a landlord or an agent, if you are responsible for the letting and management of homes you have a minimum duty to meet basic standards required by law.
However, we hope that landlords and agents in Torbay would try to offer a standard above minimum legal requirements and in line with industry best practice. Guidance on minimum standards and best practice is given in the Private Rented Sector Code of Practice Opens in a new window.
Model Tenancy Agreement
To landlords the Government has produced a model agreement to give guidance to those that which to create an agreement themselves:
It is a legal requirement for lettings agents and property managers in England to join 1 of 3 Government approved redress schemes:
Agents who have not signed up to one of these 3 schemes could be fined.
- Your landlord has asked you to leave
- Join the housing waiting list through Devon Home Choice
- Help with homelessness
- Emergency and Temporary Accommodation
- I need a housing inspection to ensure my home is safe
- Renting a home
- Advice for landlords
- Advice for homeowners
- Refugees statement
- Moving home
- Finding a home
- Upload your documents to Housing Options
- Houses in multiple occupation