County Court representation is available for Homeowners and tenants for possession hearings at the Torquay and Newton Abbot County Court, Nicholson Road, Torquay.
The advice is free, independent and confidential. To see if this service is available on the day of your hearing please contact The Housing Options Service or the courts direct on 01803 616791.
The aim of the service is to try to prevent homelessness via negotiation with your landlord or mortgage company prior to any hearing and if this is not successful by attending your court hearing and speaking on your behalf to try to obtain the best outcome possible.
The representation is very time restricted as very often the courts are extremely busy and it is therefore important you try to obtain advice prior to the hearing and if you need court representation you need to attend at least 30 minutes before your court hearing. It may be useful to take to the courts the following information:-
- A completed income and expenditure form
- Any evidence to confirm your income and any essential expenditure for example car costs if this is necessity for your work or any additional food costs if you are on a specific diet i.e. gluten free.
- Any medical evidence if you have any ongoing physical or mental health conditions that may mean you would suffer hardship if you had to vacate your accommodation
Please do seek advice immediately if you are threatened with court action. You can contact the Housing Options Team at Torbay Council via the link below.
You could also seek advice from Shelter – 0344 515 2399
If you are on a low income and eligible for legal advice you may be able to get some written representation from either of the following organizations.
- Wollen Michellmore Solicitors - telephone 01803 213251
- Civil Legal Advice Line - 0845 345 43 45 or please follow the link below to request a free call and for more information and to check if you are eligible for legal aid. www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- Housing Enquiries
- Tel: 01803 208723
- Fax: 01803 208282