We support the parents and carers of children and young people with additional support needs and sleep problems. We aim to:
- Help children and young people with additional support needs to sleep better and consequently to improve their daytime performance.
- Help parents and carers by giving them specific tried and tested behavioural and cognitive techniques to adapt their child’s night-time behaviour.
- Establish sleep clinics to provide families with support and counselling.
- Raise awareness of the problems caused by sleep difficulties in children with additional support needs.
Which children and young people do we work with?
Children and young people are eligible for Sleep Torbay if they have a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long term effect on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities. This may include for example:
- A physical or learning disability,
- A hearing or visual impairment,
- Children with Autistic Spectrum Condition and
- Children who may have challenging behaviour as a result of their learning disability.
Sleep Torbay can be accessed by a professional working with a family. This could include GP, school nurse, health visitor, care manager, teacher or anybody else working with the child.
Here is the information we will need to consider a referral:
- Child’s details (name, address, date of birth, contact telephone number, GP and school)
- Medical details and diagnosis (if known)
- Relevant history
- Initial assessment (if available)
- Current care plans (if available)
- Details of other services/professionals involved
Complete and return the referral form to us and include confirmation that parents/carers have given consent for the referral to this service.
- Adopt a child
- Become a foster carer
- Family Information Service Directory
- Get help for a child at risk
- Services and support
- Find a social work job
- Strategies and policies
- Complain about children's social care
- Private fostering
- Child employment
- Peninsula Commissioning and Procurement Partnership