If you work at a language school, you need to let us know if you are arranging for a young person who is under 16 to be looked after by a ‘host family’ for a period of 28 days or more.
If you are acting as a ‘host family’ for a language school, you must let us know if you are planning to take a young person under age 16 for 28 days or more, as this will be classed as Private Fostering.
The law requires us to make sure the child will be safe and the arrangement is in their best interests. We will need to assess you and your family members. This assessment will include:
- DBS and health checks on you and all members of your household aged 16 and over.
- Checks on your accommodation to make sure it is suitable and safe
- Making sure you have all the information you need to care for the child
- Regular visits to the child when they are living with you
This assessment will only relate to a particular arrangement. It won’t be an assessment of your general suitability as a private foster carer.
We will visit the young person on a regular basis, to check on their welfare.
A guide to private fostering and what it means in Torbay.
Poster displaying information about private fostering in Torbay.
Information from the DfE for people looking after someone else's child.
Information from the DfE for parent's whose child is being looked after by someone else.
This document contains the National Minimum Standards for Private Fostering which came into force on 18 July 2005, and the Children (Private Arrangements for Fostering) Regulations 2005.
Information from the DfE for professionals in the education, health and social care fields which explains their roles and responsibilities in private fostering.
- Adopt a child
- Become a foster carer
- Family Information Service Directory
- Integrated Youth Support Service (IYSS)
- Get help for a child at risk
- Services and support
- Find a social work job
- Strategies and policies
- Complain about children's social care
- Private fostering
- Child employment
- Peninsula Commissioning and Procurement Partnership