You need a licence if you charge a fee to look after other peoples dogs in your own home. The number of dogs that can be accommodated, along with any other conditions, will be specified on the licence.
An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 Opens in a new window
- Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951 Opens in a new window
- Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954 Opens in a new window
- Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 Opens in a new window
- Owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 Opens in a new window
For more information read the Home Boarding Standard Conditions produced by the Local Government Association.
Details of the licence conditions for home boarding (dogs) in Torbay.
You can apply for a new licence or a renewal by completing an application form and sending it us along with the correct fee.
For completed applications we will try to process them within 20 working days if no further information is needed.
Where a licence is granted, that licence and any subsequent licence will expire on the 31 December of the year to which the licence relates and must be renewed before that date if the premises is to continue as an animal boarding establishment.
The fee for a new licence application is £225 plus the cost of vets fees if required.
The fee to renew a licence is £120 plus the cost of vets fees if required.
Visit the Animal Register page to see the current establishments with a licence.
- Business rates
- Commercial waste
- Licensing and permits
- Support for your business
- Consumer advice
- Food safety
- Health and safety at work
- Safer workplace, better business
- Business services
- Supply us with goods or services
- Find a commercial property to lease
- Find a commercial property to buy
- Find a business event
- Trading Standards advice for businesses