Universal Credit is being rolled out fully in Torbay from September 2018 and will affect most working age people on Housing Benefit.  Find out how this affects you on our Universal Credit page.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks. If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

If your circumstances change and this means you are entitled to less benefit you may be paid too much, this is called an overpayment.

In most cases if we have paid you too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you will have to pay it back.

If you have been overpaid we will write and tell you:

  • The reason for the overpayment
  • The amount of the overpayment
  • How we worked out the overpayment
  • Who the overpayment is recoverable from

You should read the letter carefully and check the information. If you think the overpayment is wrong you can ask us to explain it.

Paying back your overpayment

Housing Benefit

Where your landlord receives payment of your Housing Benefit an overpayment may be paid back by you or your landlord, depending on the circumstances and cause of the overpayment.

We will decide who must pay back the overpayment and write to you and your landlord to tell you. You can ask us to reconsider if you do not agree with our decision.

If you are still getting Housing Benefit we will lower your future benefit payments until the overpayment has been repaid in full.

If you are no longer entitled to any Housing Benefit we will send you a bill for the amount of the overpayment.

  Make a payment

If you cannot pay the bill in full, you may be able to pay by instalments.

  Ask to pay by instalments

If you think the lower payments you get will cause you money problems you can ask us to consider a lower amount.

  Ask to make lower repayments

Council Tax Support

If you have received too much Council Tax Support it will be added back onto your council tax account and you will be sent an amended bill showing your new payments.

If you are having problems paying your council tax please don’t ignore the problem there are ways we may be able to help.