Universal Credit is being rolled out fully in Torbay from September 2018 and will affect most working age people on Housing Benefit.  Find out how this affects you on our Universal Credit page.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks. If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

How much you get will be based on an ‘eligible’ rent. This means the reasonable rent for a suitable property in your area.

The number of bedrooms that are counted for social housing tenants

We may restrict the amount you get if you are working age and have 'spare' bedrooms.

The number of bedrooms you can claim for is based on the number of people living in your home not the number of bedrooms you have.

A claim is reduced by:

  • 14% if you have one 'spare' bedroom
  • 25% if you have two or more 'spare' bedrooms

One bedroom is allowed for:

  • Every adult couple
  • Any additional adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children regardless of sex aged under age 10
  • Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • Any other child
  • A carer who normally lives elsewhere (we may write to you about this)

How much help can you get?

  Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

The amount you get may be reduced if you have someone, other than your partner, living with you such as grown up children, friends or other relatives. These deductions are known as ‘non-dependant’ deductions.

We will not make a deduction If you or your partner are:

  • Registered blind,
  • Getting Attendance Allowance,
  • Getting the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Getting the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payments

The amount of the deduction depends on whether or not they work full time and if they do it will be based on their total gross weekly income.

The benefit cap limits the amount of benefit that most working age households can get.

If you’re affected, your Housing Benefit will go down to make sure that the total amount of benefit you get isn’t more than the cap level.

The benefit cap limit has been reduced from November 2016.

You can find out further information on our benefit cap page.

You can have the benefit paid to yourself or your landlord. It will be paid straight into a bank or building society account.