Universal Credit is being rolled out fully in Torbay from September 2018 and will affect most working age people on Housing Benefit.  Find out how this affects you on our Universal Credit page.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks. If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

The rates shown are the maximum you could get before we look at your income and circumstances.

2017 to 2019 Rates
Charge Shared room One bedroom Two bedroom Three bedroom Four bedroom
Monthly charge £275.17 £419.94 £555.49 £663.09 £833.04
Weekly charge £63.50 £96.91 £128.19 £153.02 £192.24

These rates will not increase before March 2020 however they may go down.

What rate would apply to me?

LHA is based on the number of bedrooms your household needs, not the number of rooms in the property you rent, or the rent that you are charged.

One bedroom is allowed for:

  • Every adult couple
  • Any additional adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children regardless of sex aged under age 10
  • Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • Any other child
  • A carer who normally lives elsewhere (we may write to you about this)

Some couples and single people will only be entitled to the shared accommodation rate, this is when:

  • You are one of a couple, don’t live with dependants and rent a room in a shared home
  • You are 34 years old or younger and live alone (there are exemptions for severely disabled people, care leavers under 22 years of age or those with a bedroom used by care workers providing overnight care)
  • You are 35 years or over and rent a room for your sole use in a shared home

A shared home is where you have sole use of a bedroom and have to share a kitchen, a bathroom, a toilet or a room suitable for living in.

Find out how much help you can get

  Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

The amount you get may be reduced if you have someone, other than your partner, living with you such as grown up children, friends or other relatives. These deductions are known as ‘non-dependant’ deductions.

We will not make a deduction if you or your partner are: 

  • Registered blind
  • Getting Attendance Allowance
  • Getting the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Getting the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payments

If you have a couple living with you we will only take one deduction. If one is working full time we will add the joint income together and use this to decide the deduction. If neither are working we will take the higher one of the deductions that apply

The amount of the deduction depends on whether or not they work full time and if they do it will be based on their total gross weekly income.

The benefit cap limits the amount of benefit that most working age households can get.

If you’re affected, your Housing Benefit will go down to make sure that the total amount of benefit you get isn’t more than the cap level.

The benefit cap limit has been reduced from November 2016.

You can find out further information on our benefit cap page.

LHA is paid to you and will go straight into a bank or building society account.

It is up to you to make sure that your rent is paid to your landlord. If you think you may struggle with the responsibility of paying your rent, you can ask us to make payments direct to your landlord.

A request for direct payment can be made by you, your landlord or another interested party.