Universal Credit is being rolled out fully in Torbay from September 2018 and will affect most working age people on Housing Benefit.  Find out how this affects you on our Universal Credit page.

The current processing time for new applications and changes to benefit claims is an average of 6 weeks. If you contact us with a general enquiry online we will reply to you within two working days.

We need to know if your circumstances change

The law says you must tell us if there is any change to the information we use to calculate your Housing Benefit (HB) or Council Tax Support (CTS).

If your circumstances change you must tell us immediately as it could affect the amount you receive.

You must tell us about change even if you have told another agency, such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or the Pension Service.

If you are not sure if we need to know, tell us anyway. It is better to be safe than sorry.

  Tell us about a change of circumstances

Tell us about a change of address

Housing Benefit

It is very important that you let us know within one month if there are any changes in your family or financial circumstances.

If you don't tell us about changes when they happen you may be committing benefit fraud and could face criminal charges. You will also need to pay back amounts that have been overpaid to which you are not entitled.

Council Tax Support

It is very important that you let us know if there are any changes in your family or financial circumstances within 21 days.

If you don't tell us about a change, we will add the over payment of CTS onto to your council tax account for repayment and your future instalments will increase.

Income and savings

  • Entitlement to Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Guaranteed Pension Credit begins or ends for anyone in your home.
  • Entitlement to any other benefit begins or ends (e.g. Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Tax Credits, Carer’s Allowance) for anyone in your home.
  • Changes to earned income for anyone in your home - starting work, stopping work, change of employer, rate of pay, hours worked, etc.
  • Increases or decreases in the value of your or your partner's savings, capital and investments. This includes bank, building society or Post Office accounts, Premium Bonds, National Savings Certificates, stocks, shares, bonds and unit trusts.
  • If you are of working age and you and your partner hold capital over £5500, or if you are of pension age and you and your partner hold capital over £9500.
  • Sale of any residential property your own or part own.

Changes in your household 

  • Somebody moves in or out of your home.
  • You start or stop letting part of your home to someone who pays rent.
  • You start paying, stop paying or there are changes to the amount of child care you pay.
  • You, your partner or your child starts or finishes full-time education, including university courses.
  • You or somebody in your household goes into hospital.
  • You or somebody in your household goes to prison or is on remand.
  • You or your partner are away from home and don't plan to return within four weeks.

Changes to your tenancy

  • You move home
  • Your rent (or your share of it) goes up or down
  • Your landlord changes
  • You receive a new tenancy agreement
  • The conditions of your tenancy change e.g. if you start or stop paying for services as part of your tenancy (gas, electricity, water rates etc).