Venue: Riviera International Conference Centre, Chestnut Avenue, Torquay, TQ2 5LZ
Contact: Amanda Coote Governance Support Team Leader
Apologies for absence
To receive apologies for absence, including notifications of any changes to the membership of the Committee.
In accordance with the wishes of the Liberal Democrat Group, the membership of the meeting had been amended for this meeting by including Councillor Mandy Darling instead of Councillor Dudley.
To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of this Committee held on 9 September 2019.
The minutes of the Committee held on 9 September 2019 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
Demolition of existing hotel and formation of new hotel with ancillary facilities.
The Committee considered an application for demolition of existing hotel and formation of new hotel with ancillary facilities.
Updates to the submitted report (since publication) were reported by the Case Officer, as follows:
- The number of representations (objections) increased by 20 (546 representations and 526 objections).
- Additional items to be added to the summary list of objections:
· The proposal’s impact on ecology and the adequacy of the Habitats Regulations Assessment undertaken;
· Previous Council and appeal decisions at nearby sites indicate that the proposal is not acceptable in visual terms;
· The proposal continues to be unacceptable in relation to neighbouring amenity and other respects previously mentioned and now listed;
· Continued inadequacy and highway safety implications of the proposed loading bay and access arrangements.
- A solicitor’s letter received on behalf of the Torquay Neighbourhood Plan Forum and the Cockington, Chelston, and Livermead Community Partnership was circulated to Members one week ago for their direct consideration and has been taken into consideration as part of the assessment exercise.
- The Torquay Neighbourhood Plan Forum has requested that their comments in relation to the need for a right-hand turn filter lane along Torbay Road and the inadequacy of the highway capacity to accommodate the development should be specifically listed under their representation, and the report is hereby updated accordingly.
- P.32 – the paragraph (including quotation) beginning “The Torquay Neighbourhood” should be deleted and replaced with the following:
The Torquay Neighbourhood Plan Forum has referred to a previous Council decision to refuse planning permission at the neighbouring site of Seajay for the creation of a roof terrace, and the fact that a subsequent appeal was dismissed, owing to the proposal’s visual impact. Similar decisions were reached at Oversands for the same type of development. These decisions were reached between 2009 and 2011.
The following paragraph should see the insertion of “Seajay and” prior to the word “Oversands”.
- P.36 – “1.8mm” should be replaced with “1.8m”.
Prior to the meeting, Members of the Development Management Committee were able to visit the site and written representations were available on the Council’s Website. At the meeting John Gerard, June Pierce and Leon Butler addressed the Committee against the application. Martin Rogers, Derek Elliott and Alan Denby address the meeting in support of the application. In accordance with Standing Order B4.1 Councillors Amil and Bye addressed the Committee. During their verbal presentation Leon Butler and Derek Elliott also provided a PowerPoint presentation.
A recorded vote was taken on the recommendation. The voting was taken by roll call as follows: For: Councillors Mandy Darling, Hill, Barbara Lewis, Chris Lewis and Pentney (5). Against: Councillors Barrand, Brown, Doggett and Manning (4).
That the application be approved subject to the completion of a Section 106 Agreement to secure financial contributions towards sustainable transport and local parking restrictions, and compliance with the conditions detailed in the submitted Report. The final drafting and addition of conditions, along with the negotiation and completion ... view the full minutes text for item 39.
Contact Governance Support
- Brixham Town Council
- Budget digest
- Civic Mayor
- Councillors' allowances
- Councillors' behaviour, interests and standards
- Decision lists
- Forward plans
- Get involved and have your say
- How the Council works
- Independent remuneration panel
- Outside bodies
- Overview & Scrutiny
- Search documents
- Subscribe to updates
- What's new
- Your Councillors
- Your MEPs
- Your MPs
- Become a Councillor